Posted: Feb 18, 2023
Score: No. 20 Roanoke 17, Sewanee 6
Records: Maroons 1-1; Tigers 1-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: The No. 20 Roanoke men's lacrosse team led from start to finish against the visiting Sewanee Tigers as the Maroons score three or more goals in every quarter en route to the 17-6 win in its home opener.
- The Maroons started off the game with four unanswered goals from Noah Goad, Julian Kammerman, Jay Frye, and Luke Kammerman less than four and a half minutes into the game. After a pair of Tiger goals, J. Kammerman put Roanoke back ahead by three with a man-down goal at 6:23 and Sean Kennedy scored at 2:32 left in the first to keep it a three-goal lead heading into the second quarter.
- The home lead would swell to seven by the end of the first half with four unanswered goals in the period, including what proved to be the game-winner by L. Kammerman at 13:06, which allowed Roanoke to take a 10-3 lead into the break.
- Four more goals in the third quarter without a response pushed the run by the Maroons to nine goals and a 14-3 lead after 45 minutes of action.
- A trio of Tiger goals was answered right back by the Maroons with three of their own as Roanoke stayed ahead for the 17-6 win.
- Taylor Lewis made 12 saves while playing all 60 minutes in goal for the Maroons. He also grabbed seven ground balls and added two caused turnovers.
- Ethan Caldwell led the Maroons offensively with four goals on six shots.
Up Next: Roanoke opens ODAC play by paying a visit to ODAC newcomer Averett on Wednesday, February 22. Face off with the Cougars in Danville gets underway at 7 p.m.