Posted: Feb 22, 2023
Score: Roanoke 24, Averett 5
Records: Maroons 2-1; Cougars 1-1
Location: Danville, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke men's lacrosse team scored quickly and often in its midweek contest at ODAC newcomer Averett. The Maroons scored 15 goals in the first 15 minutes en route to a 24-5 ODAC win over the Cougars.
- Once the Maroons scored their first goal at 11:29 in the first quarter with a goal by Ethan Caldwell, and an assist from Sean Kennedy, the goals kept coming. Roanoke went on to score seven more goals in less than three minutes, capped with a goal by Bryson Miller at 8:41.
- The Cougars finally got on the scoreboard at 7:48 with a goal before the Maroons answered with a 4-0 with goals by Clayton Bewick, Miller, Kennedy, and Luke Kammerman. Averett added their second goal at 3:25 and Roanoke closed out the opening quarter with three more goals to take a 15-2 lead after the first 15 minutes.
- The Maroons added four more goals in the second quarter while keeping the Cougars off the board to extend their lead to 19-2 going into halftime.
- Goals by Quinn Evans and Matthew Albertson to start the second half gave Roanoke a 21-2 lead before Averett closed out the period with two of their own to cut the Maroon lead to 21-4.
- Evans, Connor Milne, and Jack Savoie each added a goal in the first five and half minutes of the fourth quarter putting Roanoke ahead 24-4 and the Cougars scored the final goal at 8:40 before the defenses settled in with the Maroons leaving Danville with the 24-5 victory.
- Evans led the Maroons with three goals while Kennedy, L. Kammerman, and Julian Kammerman also finished with three points on the night with two goals and an assist each.
- Conrad Good and John Dias each scooped up five ground balls while Milne (3) led 16 different Maroons in tallying a caused turnover.
- Taylor Lewis collected the win playing the first 15:00 of the contest.
Up Next: Roanoke remains on the road for a special neutral site contest with Dickinson on Sunday, February 26 when they play at the US Lacrosse facility in Sparks, Md. Game time with the Red Devils is scheduled for 12 p.m.