Posted: Feb 26, 2023
Score: No. 8 Dickinson 14, Roanoke 13
Records: Red Devils 3-0; Maroons 2-2
Location: Sparks, Md.
The Lead: A goal with less than a minute left lifted No. 8 Dickinson over the Roanoke men's lacrosse team on Sunday afternoon at the US Lacrosse Complex in Sparks, Md.
How it Happened/Highlights:
- The two teams traded goals in the first quarter with Noah Goad (9:18) and Aidan Sullivan (5:24) scoring for the Maroons off assists by Ethan Caldwell and Julian Kammerman, respectively.
- The Red Devils scored with 1:43 left in the first half with the score tied at 5-5 to take a one-goal lead into the break. Wyatt Whitlow (twice) and Goad scored for the Maroons in the second quarter.
- The third quarter saw two goals in the first two minutes of the half to take an 8-5 lead over Roanoke. A third goal by Whitlow was answered with two more as Dickinson led 10-6 with 5:24 left in the period. Back-to-back goals within nine seconds of each other for Goad and Luke Kammerman cut the lead to just two with 1:51 left in the period. The Red Devils got a second last-moment goal to put their lead back to three heading into the fourth.
- After a Dickinson goal at 14:25, the Maroons went on a 5-1 run capped by back-to-back goals by Sean Kennedy at 3:37 and J. Kammerman at 3:03 to tie the score at 13-13. However, the Red Devils scored the third last-minute goal of a period in the game with 39 seconds left to escape with a 14-13 win.
- Both Whitlow and Goad scored four goals for the Maroons against the nationally-ranked Red Devils.
Up Next: Roanoke is back home on Saturday, March 4 when they host John Carroll. First faceoff with the Blue Streaks is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Kerr Stadium