Posted: Sep 17, 2022
THE GAME FACTS
Score: Mary Washington 2, Roanoke 1
Records: Eagles 4-2, Maroons 2-2-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Short Story: The Roanoke College men's soccer team nearly came back from a two-goal deficit late in the contest, but fell to the University of Mary Washington in a non-conference contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aidan Shell used a pass off a corner kick from Diego Guzman at 9:24 into the game to put the visiting Eagles ahead 1-0.
- Both teams' defense held up through the rest of the first half with UMW having the one-goal lead at halftime.
- A little more than 15 minutes into the second half, Juan Vargas scored the Eagles' second goal off a pass from Abel Luwis.
- Not to sit quietly, Girom Affolter scored unassisted at 84:00 to pull the Maroons within one.
- The Eagles took two more shots and held on for the 2-1 win
BY THE NUMBERS
- Affolter's goal was his second of the week, including the game-winner on Wednesday over Greensboro.
- The Maroons will open Old Dominion Athletic play with a road contest on Wednesday, September 21 at Randolph in Lynchburg. Game time with the WildCats is scheduled for 7 p.m.