Posted: Sep 24, 2022
THE GAME FACTS
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 2, Roanoke 1
Records: Marlins 7-1-1, Maroons 2-3-1
Location: Salem, Va.
The Short Story: The Roanoke College men's soccer team dropped a heartbreaker game 2-1 to Virginia Wesleyan on senior recognition day in ODAC action from Kerr Stadium. Prior to the match, the Maroons honored all 14 seniors for their contributions to the men's soccer program over the past five seasons.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Harrison Kraus took a pass from Isaac Wolf and fired a shot to the left of a diving Marlin goalkeeper at 29:34 to put the Maroons ahead 1-0; a lead they kept going into halftime.
- The Maroon defense held strong for most of the second half before VWU score a close-in goal with less than six minutes left in the game at 83:55.
- The heartbreak came when the Marlins scored the game-winner with just 24 seconds left off a pass inside that bounced around in front of the goal.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Maroons outshot their opponents 12-10 in the game while both teams had seven shots in the second half.
- Roanoke had a slim lead in corner kicks 4-3.
- Zach Behe moved to 2-3-2 on the season after playing all 90 minutes in goal for the Maroons.
- The Maroons will next host #15 Washington and Lee on Wednesday, September 28 in ODAC play. Game time with the Generals is scheduled for 7 p.m..