Posted: Sep 30, 2022
THE GAME FACTS
Score: Roanoke 2, Shenandoah 1
Records: Roanoke 3-4-2, 1-2-1 ODAC, Shenandoah 2-4-3, 0-3-1 ODAC
Location: Winchester, Va.
The Short Story: After a scoreless first half, the Roanoke College men's soccer team scored twice in the final 20 minutes to come from behind and defeat Shenandoah on the road. The game was moved up one day due to the impending weather conditions from Hurricane Ian throughout Virginia.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team was able to find the back of the goal in the first 45 minutes as both teams saw the scoreboard at 0-0 at halftime.
- The Hornets got on the scoreboard first with a penalty kick in the 60th minute after the Maroons committed a foul inside the goal box.
- Nathan Carey leveled the match up at the 73:57 mark off a pass from Harrison Kraus. It was Carey's first goal of the season.
- With less than seven minutes left in the game, Till Schumacher took a pass from Jake Berecz at 83:01 and scored what became the game-winner. It was also Schumacher's first goal of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Zach Behe played all 90 minutes in goal for the Maroons making five saves.
- Each team had 12 shots in the contest with Roanoke taking seven in the first half and Shenandoah taking five. It was the reverse in the second half with the Maroons taking five and the Hornets taking seven.
- The two teams were also tied in corner kicks with each squad taking five over the course of the game.
- Roanoke will next travel to visit Hampden-Sydney on Wednesday, October 5. Game time with the Tigers is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Hellmuth-Gibson Field.