Posted: Oct 19, 2022
THE GAME FACTS
Score: Roanoke 5, Averett 1
Records: Maroons 7-5-2, 5-3-1 ODAC, Cougars 4-8-3, 2-4-2 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Short Story: Three goals in a game can be great for any team. Three goals by one player, let alone in just over 20 minutes, is hard for the opponent to come back from. That is exactly what Roanoke College men's soccer forward Harrison Kraus did just 20:14 into the first half, scoring the first hat trick of his career to put the Maroons ahead 3-0. A pair of goals in the second extended the lead as Roanoke pulled away for the 5-1 win over ODAC newcomer Averett at Kerr Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kraus found the back of the net off a ricochet off a Cougar defender at 9:04 to put the Maroons ahead 1-0.
- Just 17 seconds later Liam Camilleri chipped a long ball into the box as Harrison two-stepped and fired a goal at 9:21 to put Roanoke ahead 2-0.
- After a penalty-kick attempt by Kraus was saved, the Nashville, Tenn. native completed the hat trick at 20:14 on a shot across the box, giving the Maroons the 3-0 halftime lead.
- The Cougars pulled back within two in the 59th minute off a goal by Alexander Soerensen.
- Till Pfleging put Roanoke back up by three at 77:43 off a pass from Nathan Carey.
- Pfleging put the game away for good at 82:32 off a pass from Girom Affolter, giving the Maroons the 5-1 lead, which they kept for the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Zach Behe played all 90 minutes in goal for the Maroons improving to 7-5-2 on the season.
- Roanoke fired 16 shots to just six for Averett. The Maroons also took two more corner kicks than the Cougars.
- The win for Roanoke was the first against Averett as ODAC opponents. The two teams had met 20 times before, dating back to September 20, 1978. The Maroons now own a 15-5-1 record for the Cougars with the last win for AU coming in 1986.
- The Maroons step away from ODAC play for the last time this season with a visit to Emory on Saturday, September 22. Game time with the Eagles is scheduled for 2 p.m. in Atlanta, Ga.