Score: Roanoke 69 | Meredith 47
Records: Maroons 3-0 | Avenging Angels 0-2
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: After opening the home portion of their 2021-22 schedule over the weekend, Roanoke played host to Meredith in the front end of a women's/men's double header on Wednesday. The Maroons used a 19-2 opening quarter to put the Avenging Angels in a big hole that they could not get out of. 39-11 was the halftime edge for Roanoke as they cruised to the non-conference victory, 69-47.
How it Happened:
- Renee Alquiza started with a 3-pointer and ended a 12-0 run with a pair of free throws to stake the Maroons to a big early advantage. After a Meredith hoop, Roanoke would close the period with a 7-0 run that was capped by an Ayanna Scarborough layup to give RC a 19-2 first quarter lead.
- Another Scarborough layup at the midway point of the second frame would see the Roanoke advantage grow to 20 (29-9). A pair of Kristina Harrel free throws pushed the lead to 27 with just over a minute left before the break.
- With 6:30 left in the third, Sayre Brandstatter nailed a three to make it a 48-14, RC lead. Meredith made a bit of a run to close the third quarter, 14-4, but the Roanoke edge would still be 24 going into the final 10 minutes of play.
- Coach Carla Flaherty would play 14 different players on the night with 10 Maroons finding the score column as Roanoke ran its early record to 3-0.
- Alquiza and Brandstatter finished with 12 points apiece with Harrel adding 10 points and a team-high six rebounds. Roanoke forced 29 Avenging Angel turnovers with Brandstatter and Whitney Hopson both recording five steals.
Up next: Roanoke will enjoy a short break to enjoy Thanksgiving before being back in action on Monday, November 29th when they host Mary Baldwin at 7:00pm in the Cregger Center.