Posted: Feb 01, 2023
Score: Ferrum 54, Roanoke 50
Records: Panthers 9-12, 5-9 ODAC; Maroons 14-6, 8-5 ODAC
Location: Salem, Va.
The Short Story: The visiting Ferrum Panthers used a big fourth quarter to come from behind and escape with a 54-50 win over the Roanoke women's basketball team on Wednesday evening inside the Bast Center Gym.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter was an even game between the two teams with the Panthers hitting a three-pointer with 40 seconds left to tie the score at 11-11 heading into the second quarter.
- It was slightly more offensive in the second quarter for both teams. Ferrum scored the first six points of the period to take a 17-11 lead. Roanoke responded with a 7-0 run to retake the lead on a Sayre Brandstatter three-pointer with 6:30 on the clock. The two teams traded leads the rest of the way as the score was tied 25-25 with 2:11 left. Brandstatter hit another three with 59 seconds left as the Maroons led 28-25 at the break.
- The score remained close for most of the third quarter until the Maroons took a 43-33 lead on a pair of Rose Sande free throws with 3:12 left on the clock. A Panther three with nine seconds brought Ferrum back within seven heading into the fourth.
- The Maroons maintained their lead until Ferrum tied the score with 5:22 left and then took a four-point lead with under two minutes remaining. A pair of Roanoke free throws brought the home team within two, but the Panthers made two free throws at the end to escape with the 54-50 win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Both Sande and Brandstatter finished in double figures with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
- Brandstatter led Roanoke with six rebounds. In total nine different Maroons recorded a rebound.
- The Maroons wrap up their homestand on Saturday, February 4 when they host Randolph-Macon. Game time with the Yellow Jackets is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Bast Center Gym.