Posted: Feb 23, 2023
Score: Bridgewater 71, Roanoke 60
Records: Eagles 20-5; Maroons 18-8
Location: Salem, Va. – Salem Civic Center
The Short Story: For the third time this season and second time in eight days, the Roanoke women's basketball team faced off against Bridgewater. This time it was in the 2023 ODAC Tournament quarterfinals at the Salem Civic Center. Despite a second-half comeback attempt, the Eagles were able to use their first-half lead to escape the Maroons with a 71-60 win and advance to the ODAC Tournament semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the two teams traded baskets to start with 2023 All-ODAC selection Rose Sande hitting a three for the Maroons at 7:30, the Eagles went on a 7-0 run, capped with a pair of free throws with 4:13 left in the first quarter. Bridgewater extended their lead to eight with a free throw at 1:27. Madison Nereu hit both ends of her free throws to cut the lead down to six, but a last-second layup for the Eagles gave them the 15-7 lead after the first 10 minutes of play.
- Roanoke responded in the second by hitting their first two shots by Nereu and Peyton Kirchner, cutting the lead back to just six for BC. An 8-0 run by the Eagles to midway through the second quarter gave them a 25-11 lead before a three by Sayre Brandstatter at 4:33 stopped the scoring run. With Bridgewater leading 30-18, the Eagles score the final seven points of the first half to take a 19-point lead into the locker room.
- The Maroons began to chip away at the Bridgewater lead in the third quarter. The Eagles maintained a 15-point lead until late in the quarter when the Maroons saw Lauren Keel hit a three, Sande make a jumper and JaBryah Haverkamp make a free throw to cut the lead down to just 11 at 1:05. After a three put BC's lead back to 13, Keel made a jumper and was fouled. She made the free throw to cut the lead down to just 10 heading into the fourth.
- The Eagles scored the first seven points of the final period to put their lead back to 17 with 8:44 on the clock. Once again the Maroons chipped away at the lead with Sande cutting the lead down to singles digits with a pair of free throws at 4:56, 60-51. After an Eagle turnover, Keel stole the ball and was fouled, making both free throws to narrow the lead to just seven points at 60-53 with 4:21 on the clock. Brandstatter took advantage of another Eagle turnover to make a layup to cut the lead down to just five.
- Unfortunately, a 10-0 run by the Eagles put the lead back up by 15. Haverkamp made a pair of free throws with six seconds remaining, but Bridgewater held on for the 71-60 win over the Maroons.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Keel, who did not play in either of the previous two meetings this season, had a game-high 17 points to lead four Maroons in double figures. Brandstatter (11), Sande (11), and Nereu (10) all reached the two-digit scoring mark.
- Nereu also finished with seven rebounds to lead Roanoke.
- The Maroons made the most of Eagle turnovers leading Bridgewater in points off turnovers 19-13. From close range, Roanoke outshot the Eagles with 26 points to just 14 for BC.
- Roanoke concludes the 2022-23 season.