Posted: Mar 16, 2023
Score: No. 18 Roanoke 20, Illinois Wesleyan 1
Records: Maroons 6-0, Titans 2-6
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: The No. 18 Roanoke women's lacrosse team returned home for a Thursday afternoon contest with the Titans of Illinois Wesleyan. The Maroons scored the first 15 goals en route to a 20-1 win at Kerr Stadium
How it Happened/Highlights:
- Libby Bowman scored just 51 seconds into the game, unassisted to put the Maroons ahead 1-0 to start. Roanoke would score four goals in the first five and a half minutes with goals from Sydney Harrison, Kate Loughran, and Tracey Benzing. Loughran would score two more in the first period for a hat trick as the Maroons led 7-0 after the first quarter.
- Tiernan Connor scored her first goal of the game 52 seconds into the second quarter while Bowman, Lilly Blair, and Soria Ebert all added goals as Roanoke led 12-0 at halftime.
- To start the second half, Connor scored her third goal of the contest with Blair scoring her second and third as the Maroons led 15-0 at 7:27. The lone Titan goal came at 4:35 in the third to put IWU on the scoreboard.
- Roanoke added five more goals in the fourth quarter to finish out the game 20-1.
- Blair and Connor both scored four goals and three assists in the game. Blair would also add two ground balls, picked up two draw controls, and had one caused turnover.
- Sophia Chickering set a new career-high with 13 draw control wins.
- Kyleigh Chickering played the first 30 minutes in goal, only needing to make one save to earn her sixth win of the season.
Up Next: Roanoke returns to the road on Saturday, March 18 as they travel to No. 3 TCNJ for a battle of nationally-ranked teams. Game time with the Lions is scheduled for 12 p.m. in Ewing, N.J.