Posted: Mar 25, 2023
Score: No. 18 Roanoke 14, Shenandoah 12
Records: Maroons 7-1, 1-0 ODAC; Hornets 5-5, 0-1 ODAC
Location: Winchester, Va.
The Lead: The No. 18 Roanoke women's lacrosse team hit the road for its first ODAC contest of the season and returned home with a 14-12 win over Shenandoah on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened/Highlights:
- The first quarter saw a string of runs by both teams. After the Hornets scored a goal just 26 seconds into the game, the Maroons went on a 3-0 run with three unassisted goals by Grace Koutouzis, Libby Bowman, and Soria Ebert. Shenandoah retook the lead with a 4-0 run that stretched to the early part of the second quarter.
- Koutouzis stopped the Hornets' run with a free position shot at 11:21 in the second period. Neither team scored for the next seven minutes until Tiernan Connor tied the game with a goal at 4:30. In addition to Koutouzis and Connor's goal, Lilly Blair (twice), Tracey Benzing, Bowman, and Kate Loughran all scored as part of a 7-0 scoring run, that went into the second half, by the Maroons that put Roanoke back on top 10-5.
- With the Maroons leading 10-8 going into the fourth quarter, Blair scored a woman-up goal and Bowman added another to put the Roanoke lead back up to four. Shenandoah cut it back to two before Connor scored a pair of goals, including another woman-up for the Maroons. A pair of late goals for the Hornets was not enough as Roanoke claimed the 14-12 win.
- Blair, Connor, and Bowman led the Maroons with three goals a piece.
- Kyleigh Chickering improved to 7-1 on the season, playing all 60 minutes in the cage, making 12 saves.
Up Next: Roanoke remains on the road with a visit to Virginia Beach on Saturday, April 1. The Maroons will take on the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins beginning at 1 p.m.