Score: Roanoke 88, Goucher 50
Records: Maroons 1-1 | Gophers 0-3
Location: Salem, Va.
The Lead: Roanoke College opened up their home schedule with the first game of the Dick Leftwich Tip-Off Tournament in the Cregger Center when they played host to Goucher College. The Maroons raced out to a big first half lead en route to evening their record at 1-1 with the 88-50 victory.
How it Happened:
- After taking a moment to pay tribute to Charlie Moir, who passed away early Friday morning, RC came out and defended the court that bears his name.
- Dillon Thomas hit a three pointer to open the scoring. After Goucher answered with a bucket, Dillon hit Caleb Jordan for another three ball and the Maroons were off and running.
- Roanoke would shoot 50% in the first half (16-32) while hitting eight of 14 from long range, 57.1% as they opened up a 42-18 halftime edge.
- RC would continue to pull away during the second twenty minutes of play. They took their largest lead of the night when Brandon Harrell hit a shot from beyond the arc to make the score 86-44 with 2:55 left on the clock.
- When the final buzzer sounded, the Maroons had opened up the 2019-20 home schedule with a resounding win. Roanoke finished the night hitting 53.3% of their shots, including 12-26 from three.
- Tripp Greene scored a team high 14 points with Thomas (13), Joe Mikalauskas (10), and Brayden Gault (10) each finishing in double figures. Thomas added six assists with Efosa Edosomwan securing a team high seven rebounds.
Up next: Roanoke will face York College in the Championship game tomorrow at 3:00pm in the Cregger Center.