Score: Roanoke 62 | Pfeiffer 72
Records: Maroons 2-2 | Falcons 2-2
Location: Misenheimer, N.C.
The Lead: The RC men's basketball team started a four game road swing with a stop in North Carolina to face Pfeiffer on Tuesday night. It was the second road game for the Maroons as the Falcons would be playing their home opener. With the score tied at 45-45, the home team would gain control late as RC fell 72-62.
How it Happened:
- After Pfieffer opened the scoring, Roanoke would score back-to-back baskets by Joe Mikalauskas and Ethan Rohan to take their first lead of the night.
- The first 20 minutes would be a back and forth affair as the two teams would trade the lead 10 times with nine ties.
- With the score tied, 25-25, Caleb Jordan nailed a three but the Falcon's Jerome Savoy answered with 3:55 left before the half. Over the final few minutes, Pfeiffer would score six straight. A Jordan three at the buzzer made it 34-31 going into the break.
- Roanoke would score eight of the first 10 second half points during the first three minutes of the half.
- With less than 15 minutes to play, Nick Price made a layup then stole the ball and fed Efosa Edosomwan for the Maroons largest lead of the night, 43-37.
- RC would maintain their advantage until a Sean Scott layup tied the game with just over 10 minutes on the clock.
- However, the next four minutes belonged to the home team as Pfeiffer went on a 12-0 run. Dillon Thomas hit a pair of free throws to stop the surge but with 6:30 to go, the Falcons led by 10.
- Two Jordan free throws cut the deficit to five with 4:30 to go, but the Maroons would get no closer as they fell for the second time this season on the road.
- RC won the shooting battle, finishing with a better percentage than Pfeiffer in all three areas (field, 3 point, and free throw), but the Falcons would enjoy an advantage in rebounds (32-30) and turnovers (28-22).
- Jordan and Edosomwan each had 14 points, four rebounds, a steal, and a blocked shot. Thomas handed out a team high five assists.
- Rohan added 10 points while Brayden Gault led the team with five boards.
Up next: The Maroons will travel to Juniata College for the Comfort Inn Tip-Off Tournament this weekend. RC will face St. Elizabeth in their opener on Friday evening at 5:00pm.