Score: Roanoke 55 | Averett 60
Records: Maroons 4-3 | Cougars 5-2
Location: Danville, Va.
The Lead: The Roanoke College men's basketball team wrapped up a four game road swing with a post-Thanksgiving matchup with Averett. RC led at the half, but the Cougars rallied in the second 20 minutes to secure the non-conference win, 60-55.
How it Happened:
- After the two teams traded the lead back and forth a couple of times, Efosa Edosomwan drilled a three-ball to give the Maroons a lead that they would hold the final 15+ minutes of the first half.
- With 9:00 before the break, Brandon Harrell hit one from long range to give RC its largest lead of the first half, 20-11.
- The Cougars would trim the deficit until a Joe Mikalauskas three-pointer once again pushed the advantage to nine points with just over four minutes left on the clock. The Cougars would close the half on a 7-2 run to trim the Maroon lead to just four points, 27-23.
- RC led despite shooting just 29.6% (8-27) during a first half that saw RC lead the rebound battle 19-14.
- Edosomwan and Mikalauskas scored to help Roanoke push their advantage back to seven in the first minute of the second stanza. At the 18:26 mark Caleb Jordan pushed the lead to double digits for the first time but Roanoke would not score over the next five minutes as Averett tied the game at 35-35 with fourteen minutes left on the clock.
- The matchup would see an Averett lead and a pair of ties over the next seven minutes before Jordan made a jumper to make it 46-45 at the 7:04 mark. Jordan and Tripp Greene scored to give RC a six point edge with just over five minutes to go.
- The Cougars scored eight of the next nine points to rally heading into the final minutes of play. With a one point lead heading into the final minute, the home team took a timeout and scored out of the break to take a three point advantage.
- Greene made it a two point game with 13 seconds remaining. The Cougars made one of two free throws giving Roanoke one last chance to tie the game in the closing seconds. RC would attack the rim but couldn't tie the game as Averett would hold on for the win.
- Greene led all scorers with 17 while Jordan and Edosomwan each netted 10. Ethan Rohan had eight rebounds and a blocked shot with Jordan adding seven boards and four assists.
Up next: Roanoke will start ODAC play on Wednesday when they play host to Guilford College at 7:00pm.